Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2005

The great thing about musicians is...

Well, that they are musicians. This has been a fantastically musical week for me, and one that will not soon be forgotten. First, I got to know two superb musicians that I am now happy to call friends. Jack Liebeck, the brilliant British violinist, and Inon Barnatan, a pianist of the first order, were here in good ole Dallas as my guests for concerts last week.

Not only did they play the living hell out of a Mozart, Brahms, Bloch and Prokofiev program, they are two of the coolest guys in the world. We had a blast, and I can't wait to find an excuse to bring them here again.

Helios gave and excellent concert last night too, if I do say so myself. They really sang their hearts out, and I really appreciated their efforts.

My broadcasting hobby took on a new dimension yesterday as I was live on the air for my first shift at WRR. It was a blast, and several very nice listeners called in to say hello and to welcome me to the airwaves.

That's it for now, nothing really profound other than a very rewarding, gratifying and I must say, exhausting week!

1 comment:

John R Dallas Jr said...

Kevin, hello. It was a tad startling to discover in your blog the number of movies, books and interests we share in common, and a few esoteric attitudes as well. Given your location and my last name (Dallas) and my first and middle initials and the suffix (JR), I saw a clever thread worth following to at least say hello to a likely kindred spirit.

Having served as the first outside producer for Pittsburgh's grand Heinz Hall for the Performing Arts, enjoying my professional involvement with Artur Rubenstein, Van Cliburn, Gerard Schwarz and other classical music luminaries, I miss those rich days, and envy your ongoing experience. Classical became my lifeblood at age eight, then slipped into third place when a demanding business career and a failed marriage took hold. Season tickets for the Chicago Symphony also serve to remind me of my missed opportunities to learn and experience more.

Please take a look at my "new" blog, mostly new because I've not yet shared its existence with my circle of friends. That's about to change.

http://jrdallasjr.blogspot.com/

Hope you enjoy this set of coincidences, and I'm eager to hear your response.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

John (JR)