Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

News from BPI

Well here we are again for another total immersion in baroque music at Oberlin. I must confess that I went into this year with a bit of trepidation given that last year's festival was a real mountain top experience for me. There is always the desire to recreate something that we considered to be more or less perfect. And yet, each new year is a unique experience with a wonderful combination of the familiar and the new.

As always, 116 East Lorraine Unit C has become the social hub for everyone who's anyone! It is particularly gratifying to me that we have a splendidly talented group of youngsters here this year, and it has been a pleasure for me and some of the more experienced amongst us to be able to encourage and be mentor to such a fine pool of talent.

Before you ask: No, I haven't slept much, and yes there's been a party every night.

The week thus far has been wonderfully rewarding both musically and socially. Very little drama and much merry making. There will be many new friends to treasure for years to come, and this is cause for rejoicing.

Without being too specific, I would like to say that I have been able to see in bold relief that all that the men and women of my generation struggled to achieve in the past decades is coming to fruition in the beautiful freedom of expression of our younger friends. It's about time! And were three decades of stuggle worth the pain and the setbacks? You bet your ass they were.

Carry on my friends and make beautiful music!

No comments: